- Laptop should have AMD processor instead of Intel. This will save money.
- Money saved in processor should be used to provide as big hard drive as possible.Hard disk capacity of distributed laptop should be at least 512 Gb, preferably 1 Terabyte.
- I assume laptop would have some sort of Microsoft Windows operating system. It will take some time when Linux will be at par with Windows.For time being its alright.
- The laptops should have Libreoffice as office suite as it is free and open source. Features of Libreoffice are suffice for more than 99% of users who use Microsoft Office. https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
- The laptops should also have photo editing open source application GIMP installed on machines. GIMP is open source and free application instead of Photoshop. https://www.gimp.org/
- The laptops should have Wikipedia installed on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download
- Students from 5th class should try to learn shell programming. To make this happen complete install of Cygwin should be available on the laptops. https://www.cygwin.com/
- The laptops should have free and open source text editor Notepad++ installed.Notepad++ have a lot of features including regular expressions. https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
- Laptops should have XAMPP installed. Students should be encourged to learn PHP and Mysql. So, e-books should be provided to do so.Students from class 8 should be encouraged to learn PHP and Mysql. https://www.apachefriends.org/
- Laptops should also Java installed on it.e-books for Java should be provided as well.Students from class 11th should be encouraged to learn Java. https://www.java.com/en/
- Laptops should have open source IDE (Integrated Development Environment) Eclipse installed with plug-in for Java and PHP. https://eclipse.org/ide/
- Laptop should also have Open Live Writer installed. It is a desktop blogging tool and supports Wordpress as well as Blogger. http://openlivewriter.org/
- There should be e-book to configure Blogger with own domain name and putting Google Adsense on it.
- E-books should also be available on laptop to provide information about Internet Marketing and various affiliate programs.
- E-books should also introduce students about internet real estate aka Domain Names and how to make money from it.
- Laptops should also have all free books like Gita, Mahabharat, Ramayan, Premchand’s work etc so that students may read it in free time.
http://www.warriorforum.com – For internet Marketing
http://www.domainstate.com – Domain Name Forum
http://www.inforum.in – Domain Name Forum dedicated to .in extension
http://www.idnforums.com – Domain Name Forum dedicated to IDN domains
http://www.digitalpoint.com – Internet Marketing etc forum
http://www.opensourcecms.com – Listing and demo of content management systems based in PHP and Mysql
http://www.javaranch.com – Place to learn Java
http://www.fiverr.com – One may get a job worth 5 USD by this website.
http://www.elance.com – One may bid for projects posted on the website.
http://www.odesk.com – Similar as elance.
I am sure the change will get reflected in UP economy within 2 years if laptop distribution is done in right way. What’s your opinion? Feel free to add more meat to it.